This term in Year 1 we will be working on Design Technology skills to make moving pictures. We will be making characters from our favourite stories and using split pins and levers to make parts of these move. The children will also be making fruit salads and kebabs in D.T. and using cutting, peeling and chopping skills. This will be part of a topic on healthy eating.
In History, we will be looking at old toys and comparing these with present day toys. The ‘Discovering New Worlds’ topic will cover the discovery of the South Pole and the first journey to the moon. This will enable us to use research skills to find out facts and to write reports about how these discoveries were made.
Maths work includes:
- place value up to 100 and beyond
- addition and subtraction number bonds
- 1 or 10 more or less using numbers to 100
- money for shopping activities, including giving change
- comparing and measuring weight, length and capacity, kg, g
- doubling and halving
- making and using pictograms
- multiples including 2s, 5s and 10s
- multiplication and division.
Year 1 will be writing traditional tales as well as reports for non-fiction topics. The focus is on writing in sentences. The class work on their handwriting skills daily. Guided reading occurs in groups where the children read different books from those they bring home. There is a daily ‘Letters and Sounds’ focus.
Click here to go to a useful website for Maths.
Click here to go to a useful website about spelling.